Howard Garrity, Economic Development Specialist, US SBA Elmira Branch, Syracuse District
Jim Quackenbush, Business Opportunity Specialist, US SBA Syracuse District
Howard Garrity is an Economic Development Specialist at the Small Business Administration Elmira Branch Office, Syracuse District. Mr. Garrity is accountable for delivery of SBA programs and services, as well as promoting SBA lending and business development assistance. He has been with the Agency for more than 30 years, and is dedicated to reaching out to the small business community and helping entrepreneurs start and expand successful business ventures in Upstate New York.
Jim Quackenbush is currently the Business Opportunity Specialist for the 8(a) Business Development program and other SBA contracting programs at the SBA Syracuse District Office. Mr. Quackenbush started working for the US Small Business Administration in the New York District Office in the early 1980s. After transferring to the Syracuse District Office, he processed recommendations and approvals for the SBA 7(a) and 504 loan programs for over 20 years. He is a graduate of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY.
(Run time: 1:26:54)
Please click here to view the speaker(s) along with their presentation(s)
Binghamton University Downtown Center
Speakers – Howard Garrity (US SBA), Jim Quackenbush (US SBA)
Attendees – Lisa Altman (Watson Industrial Outreach/SPIR), Charity Bensley (Phoenix Printer Solutions, Inc), Janice Cheng (CICE), Daisy Dawson (WBNG-TV), John Duncan, Donna Fish (Independent Consultant), Sarah Kane (Broome-Tioga Workforce), Thomas Kowalik (CICE), Susan McInvale (CICE), Bobbie Nabinger (MonaVie), Annette Snedaker (Plan Ahead Events of Binghamton), Michael Stisser (MAC Source Communications), Cliff Olin (Olin Capital Advisors), Tim Smith (TDS Performance Improvement, LLC), Ken Kamlet (Hinman, Howard & Kattell), Bill Ritter (SCORE), Rochelle Layman (BU SBDC), Sherri Arnold (Corning SBDC)
- T. Kowalik welcomed members and participants and provided an overview about SUNY BEST. He reminded everyone that this session was being recorded and a link to the recording would be placed on the SUNY BEST website.
- Attendees introduced themselves.
- Speaker Howard Garrity provided details for potential and existing small business entrepreneurs to start and expand successful business ventures through the SBA’s loan guaranty programs. He gave an overview on the variety of services the SBA provides, including free counseling available from the SBA’s extensive network of Resource Partners at SCORE, Small Business Development Centers, and Women’s Business Centers located across Upstate New York. Q&A session followed.
- Speaker Jim Quackenbush examined resources that are available to assist small businesses in selling to the federal government. He outlined government contracting opportunities, and discussed how federal assistance can help small businesses grow. Also discussed were the benefits of SBA 8(a) Business Development program, as well as HUBZone set aside programs.
- Q&A session followed.
- Extended Q&A session followed by conversation among attendees.