Ray Durso, Executive Director of the Genesis Group, Mohawk Valley Region
Durso will discuss how his organization unites individuals and organizations to advance the economy, culture and social fabric of the Mohawk Valley, while fostering regional unity and cooperation. Durso will also discuss how Genesis brings about cooperation and seeks out and encourages member participation.
“Uniting Education, Healthcare, Technology and Tourism to Advance the Economy” (N/A)
Speaker - Ray Durso (Genesis Group)
Attendees – Bonnie Hand (Broome-Tioga BOCES), Brandy Smith (Binghamton University), Christian Harris (New York State Department of Labor), Chuck Wheeler (Broome-Tioga BOCES), Frank Fotia, Greg Hitchcock (Sidney Chamber of Commerce), Joanne Corey, John Gutenberger (Cornell University), John Hayek (STOC), John Redente (Village of Sidney), Kevin Drumm (Broome Community College), Kevin Millar (Village of Owego), Lois Kang (CCE Chemung), Merry Harris (BLDC), Rebecca Harris (Broome Tioga Workforce NY), Roni O’Geen (Empire State College), Sandra Watkins (Broome-Tioga BOCES), Scott Bowen (Binghamton University), Stacey Duncan (Greater Binghamton Chamber of Commerce), Thomas Kowalik (Binghamton University), Tim Grippen (NYSDOL)
- T. Kowalik welcomed members and participants and provided an overview about SUNY BEST. He reminded everyone that this session was being recorded and a link to the recording would be placed on the SUNY BEST website.
- Attendees introduced themselves.
- The SUNY Business and Education Cooperative of the Southern Tier (SUNY BEST) hosted Ray Durso, Executive Director of the Genesis Group whose mission is to unite individuals and organizations to advance the economy, culture and social fabric of the Mohawk Valley while fostering regional unity and cooperation. The group was founded in 2000 by community leader’s interested in transforming the Mohawk Valley into a region of positive economic, social and quality of life changes. Focusing on education, health care, technology and tourism, they offer an Ambassador Program and a Newcomers Program, and Discovery Tours of businesses and partnered with area agencies to re-introduce a 12-County Marketing Campaign. Staff also hosts an Annual Celebration of Education, Education Hall of Distinction, and Healthcare Recognition and Healthcare Hall of Distinction as well as a golf tournament showcasing area golf courses.
- The Genesis Group’s College Community Network is a committee of college and business representatives who promote the Mohawk region’s 20,000+ college students in 11 institutions of higher education. One outcome is the College Welcome Initiative, a discount and incentive program for college students, www.CollegeWelcome.org. Additional methods to support the area’s human capital include the Trade Career’s Initiative, and the STRIVE Conference, an annual business conference to promote the region to young professionals. Ray will talk about how Genesis brings about cooperation and seeks out and encourages member participation. Today, there are more than 4,000 contacts on the GenesiGroup Email Distribution Network.
- Handouts: Genesis Group 3rd Quarter Newsletter 2011
- The Genesis Group main website
Ray Durso, Executive Director of the Genesis Group, Recording, 5 Jan. 2012 (Run time: 00:54:35:)
The next meeting is Thursday February 2, 2012 at Binghamton University Vestal Campus, Room 1324C, Binghamton NY from 10:00am – 12:00pm