Frank M. Surdey, Managing Labor Economist, New York State Department of Labor
Frank Surdey currently has statewide responsibility for economic development research, business service strategies, and is the Department’s lead economist on clean energy workforce issues. Mr. Surdey was the primary researcher and co-authored the Department’s May 2009 report ‘New York State’s Clean Energy Industry: Labor Market and Workforce Intelligence’. He also serves on the national Workforce Information Council’s Green Jobs Study Group.
Broome Community College
Speaker - Frank M. Surdey (NYS Department of Labor)
Attendees - Barbara Drago (SUNY System Administration – phone), Christian Harris (New York State Department of Labor (DOL), David Rogers (Morrisville State College), Debra Morello (Broome Community College(BCC), Frank M. Surdey- Speaker (New York State Department of Labor), Glenda Roberts (SUNY Delhi), Janet Hertzog (Broome Community College (BCC), Jeanne Eschbach (Corning Community College (CCC), Jeremy Bowker (Binghamton University (BU), John Deans (Broome Community College (BCC), John Gutenberger (Cornell University), John Hayek (Southern Tier Opportunity Coalition (STOC), Kevin McLaughlin (Empire State Development), Martha Hubbard (Tompkins Cortland Community College (TC3), Merry Harris (Binghamton Local Development Corporation (BLDC), Rebecca Ducsik (Broome-Tioga Workforce New York), Roni O’Geen (Empire State College (ESC), Scott Bowen (Binghamton University (BU), Susan Greener (Tompkins Cortland Community College), Thomas Kowalik (Binghamton University (BU), Tim Grippen (New York State Department of Labor (DOL).
- T. Kowalik welcomed attendees, provided an overview of the meeting agenda and introduced BCC’s interim president John Deans whom welcomed SUNYBEST to the campus.
- Frank M. Surdey, Managing Labor Economist, New York State Department of Labor, Office of Workforce Policy, Innovation and Improvement, gave a presentation titled, “Clean Energy Sector Strategy State Energy Workforce Initiatives.” Much interest, many questions and great discussion resulted from this presentation.
- Due to the interest in this topic, J. Hayek announced an event sponsored by STOC that will be dealing with the topic of energy and green jobs next month and invited everyone to attend. (John will send information about this event to J. Bowker who will forward it to SUNYBEST members.)
- C. Harris will send links to key DOL career information websites.
- B. Drago will send an announcement about the next State-Wide B&E meeting.
The next meeting is Thursday, February 4, 2010 from 10:00am – 12:00pm, Ithaca or Dryden (Hosted by TC3 Biz)