Thomas Kowalik, Binghamton University
Barbara Drago, SUNY Administration
Binghamton University Downtown Center
Speakers - Barbara Drago (SUNY Administration), Thomas Kowalik (Binghamton University)
Attendees - Jeremy W. Bowker (Binghamton University), Rebecca A. Ducsik (Broome-Tioga Workforce), Susan Greener (TC3.biz), Tim Grippen (NYS Department of Labor), John C. Gutenberger (Cornell University), Christian D. Harris (NYS Department of Labor), Tim Hayes (SUNY College at Oneonta), Janet Hertzog (Broome Community College), Brian Hutzley (SUNY Delhi), Jennifer N. Lawson (Binghamton University), Kevin McLaughlin (Empire State Development), Debra Morello (Broome Community College), Biru Paul (SUNY Cortland), Tim Phillips (SUNY Cortland), Tom Sinclair (Binghamton University), Pamela Michen (Binghamton University), Veronica O’Geen (Empire State College)
- T. Kowalik welcomed attendees and reviewed the purpose of the SUNY B&E Cooperative, i.e., (1) to network, (2) to share information about initiatives at each member’s organization, (3) to highlight one aspect of community and economic development in the region.
- B. Drago provided an overview of how this type of networking group has been working in the Capital District in Albany.
- Representatives from each member organization reported on their operations and provided a brief overview of the recent initiatives.
- Sinclair & Pamela Michen provided a presentation titled, “Community Based Research as a Basis for University Community Relations.”
- The group briefly discussed other organizations with a similar purpose. P4P was identified and a representative from that group will be asked to join the SUNY B&E Cooperative. Members suggested expanding membership by inviting representatives from regional businesses, IDA’s, Southern Tier Opportunities Coalition, local unions, Chambers of Commerce and business incubators.
- The group selected its next meeting date, time and location.
- T. Sinclair will send a pdf version of today’s presentation to T. Kowalik for distribution to SUNY B&E members.
- Members agreed to suggest names and contact information of people who might have an interest in participating in the SUNY B&E to Jeremy Bowker or Tom Kowalik.
- J. Bowker and T. Kowalik will contact individuals referred and invite them to the next meeting of the SUNY B&E Cooperative.
- The group decided that Thursdays would be good days on which to schedule monthly meetings.
- T. Kowalik will prepare notes from today’s meeting and distribute to attendees.
- T. Kowalik and J. Bowker will create a SUNY B&E Cooperative listserv and website (or alternative solution) for information sharing, posting shared documents, linking member organizations, etc.
The next meeting is Thursday, September 10, 2009 from 10:00am – 12:00pm, TC3 building in downtown Ithaca