John Twomey, Executive Director, New York Association of Training and Employment Professionals (NYATEP)
Twomey, will discuss emerging trends in New York State’s workforce development and pending congressional actions. Twomey will also discuss the impact of the state’s financial position on training and employment opportunities.
Binghamton University Downtown Center
Presenter - John Twomey (Executive Director, New York Association of Training and Employment Professionals (NYATEP)
Attendees - Anthony Vilardo (Broome-Tioga Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO), Carole Coppens (YWCA Binghamton New York), Chris W. Burger (Binghamton Regional Sustainability Coalition (BRSC), Glenda Roberts (SUNY Delhi), Janet Herzog (Broome Community College (BCC), Jeanne Eschbach (Corning Community College (CCC), John Gutenberger (Cornell University), John Hayek (Southern Tier HealthLink), John Twomey (New York Association of Training and Employment Professionals (NYATEP), Julia Mattick (Tompkins County Workforce Investment Board), Kay Telfer (Cornell Cooperative Extension, Broome County), Martha Hubbard (TC3.biz), Mary Ellen Mangino (Workforce Development Institute. Syracuse, New York), Merry Harris (Binghamton Local Development Corporation (BLDC), Patrick Doyle (Broome County IDA), Robin Eccleston (Southern Tier Association for Human Resources (STAHR), Robin Sandwick (Cortland Works Career Center, Employment and Training), Roni O’Geen (Empire State College), Scott Bowen (Binghamton University), Scott Hancock (Binghamton University), Soon Chun (Lois) Kang (Cornell Cooperative Extension, Chemung County), Susan Greener (TC3.biz), Terry Stark (Broome Tioga Workforce New York), Theresa Bovier (YWCA Binghamton New York), Thomas Kowalik (Binghamton University), Tim Grippen (New York State Department of Labor (DOL)
- T. Kowalik welcomed members and participants and provided an overview about SUNY BEST. He reported that next month’s meeting will again be held in Binghamton at the UDC and the speaker will be David Hochman, Executive Director, Business Incubator Association of New York State, Inc. His presentation is titled, “Business Incubation: A Statewide and National Perspective.” November’s meeting will be in Ithaca and December’s may return to Binghamton.
- T. Kowalik reported that the member survey completed this summer, has been analyzed and a summary report will be distributed via the listserv and posted on the SUNY BEST website. He indicated that he would soon be calling upon a small number of members to establish a short-term Task Force to assess the findings and explore additional activities and services that might be established to meet member needs.
- John Twomey, Executive Director, New York Association of Training and Employment Professionals (NYATEP) presentation focused on three themes:
- Emerging Trends in NYS Workforce Development
- Pending Congressional Actions
- Impact of NYS financial position on training and employment opportunities
The next meeting is Thursday, October 7, 2010 from 10:00am – 12:00pm, Binghamton University Downtown Center